Saturday Night Fun - True Confessions of a Dreaming Genealogy Junkie  

Posted by Abba-Dad in ,

Randy Seaver always comes up with something fun to do on Saturday nights. This time it's a list of ten questions for a quick genealogical confession:

1. When did you start genealogy research? (2008 - I am a true newbie but already have a database of almost 10K names. Obviously most are unsourced and not verified - there's a lot of work to do)

2. Why did you start doing research? (I took my daughter on a vacation to Israel and read through a roots project that my sister did over 20 years ago. I always regreted not knowing more about my family history. I thought it would be great if I could put together a family tree for my kid(s) that consisted of both sides of the family. Little did I know that my wife's side would turn out to be GIGANTIC)

3. What was your first big success in research? (Figuring out all the amazing resources out there and using them to build a 16-generation lineage for my kids)

4. What is your biggest genealogy regret? (My grandparents NEVER talked to me about their lives and families before the escaped from Europe. I grew up knowing that everyone was killed by the nazis and I never asked more questions. I wish I had asked, especially on my Dombek side. I plan to interview my grandmother in depth on my next visit)

5. What are you best known for in the genealogy world? (I believe I am a complete unknown at this point)

6. What is your professional status in genealogy? (Not certified but perhaps certifiable. Maybe one day, but I don't see this as a career options for the next couple of decades. I like talking about it with friends and getting them interested)

7. What is your biggest genealogy achievement? (Finding a big network of cousins on both sides and getting them to talk to each other, either after many years of losing touch or never even knowing they existed)

8. What is the most FUN you've had doing genealogy? (Taking my family on a genealogical field trip through the city of Atlanta, tracing my wife's ancestors and seeing the places they lived. I wrote about it in this post)

9. What is your favorite genealogy how-to book? (I don't really read the how-to variety of books. But I am very happy that genealogy has turned me back on to the historical non-fiction genre. Currently reading "The Lost" and on deck are "Defiance" and "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee")

10. What notable genealogist would you like to meet someday? (Randy Seaver, Schelly Talalay Dardashti, Deborah Lipstadt and many others)

Well that's it for my confession. Thanks again for the challenging questions, Randy!

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 9:23 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

You have a very nice site. Love the background and your manner of writing!
Brenda

March 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Thanks Brenda! Always happy to hear from a new reader.

March 10, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Hi, Amir. Thanks for the mention. Hope to meet you in person in the future.
Schelly Talalay Dardashti
Tracing the Tribe
http://tracingthetribe.blogspot.com

March 16, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Post a Comment