Who are you people?!?  

Posted by Abba-Dad in , , , , ,

This is my submission to the 9th edition of Smile for the Camera: Who are you? I really want to know!

Well this should be easy. I have boxes of photographs that I haven't even started scanning, where many of the subjects are complete unknowns. I have a hunch or two and some clues to get me started, but getting to the actual person is going to take a whole lot of digging. The hardest part about this challenge was trying to narrow down the photo selection. Let's get started shall we?

First up are two photos from a box I believe belonged to my wife's grandmother, Emily Anne. It's full of photographs of her and her family as well as many photos of and by her mother, Pattie Stone Tuggle who was a photographer herself (there are many photos stamped on the back with "Pattie T. Wiley"). These photos may be of Pattie's wedding and of her with two of her children:





The woman in both photos is obviously the same and since they were in the same photo binder I am going to conclude this as a fact. The binder also had the studio name (for the second photo): Leonard & Co. 57 1/2 Whitehall St. Atlanta, GA. I seem to remember that while going through the Atlanta City Directories I saw several entries for Whitehall St. so if I go through those again I may find out who this family is.

The next one is a complete unknown. It is also from Emily Anne's box and was in a glass frame, so it has some importance. It looks like a photo of a photo. I guess that by analyzing the pose and attire I can narrow down the range of years this was taken in, but I currently don't posses such knowledge. Handsome guy, whoever he is:



And here's the last one. This one is from my side of the family. It's one of the photos my mother brought with her on their most recent visit. According to my grandmother (who gave her the photo) this is possibly either one of her brothers or on of her uncles from Russia (location could be any one of several in East Europe). The large man in the center of the photo is the mystery. The way everyone is posed around him suggests he is the VIP in the photo. The woman on the bottom-right who is kneeling is holding his left hand tightly. And what's up with all those little flower bouquets on the floor? Is he wearing some sort of uniform? He's obviously not a golfer, but his facial tan line suggests he spends a lot of time outside and wears some sort of protective head gear. I would love to find out who this is:



Any ideas?

This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 10:26 PM and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Anonymous  

Great pictures. I'm curious about their identities, too.

January 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Beautiful photographs. The man in the center of the bottom picture looks like he is wearing a tunic of some sort or I guess a shirt that is typical of the area. Very good looking bunch.

January 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I love the wedding portrait! I hope you have luck finding out the identities of these people!

January 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Hi, Amir,

The bottom photo appears to have been taken in the 1940s. The man in the center is obviously wearing some sort of uniform, but I don't see any insignia, with the exception of possibly a patch on his right upper arm (I can't enlarge the photo enough to tell). He is not a very young man, like you would typically expect a new soldier to be, but appears to be in his 30s or 40s.

Judith mentioned his top may be a tunic. I'm also wondering if the plain front of what appears to be a tunic bottom is actually the loose top front of his trousers, fastened on the sides instead of in the middle like modern pants are.

January 17, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Post a Comment