Online Research Checklist  

Posted by Abba-Dad in , ,

I asked for your help but nobody commented. So I had to come up with my own checklist. Here is what I am going to do when researching online:

1) First thing I need to do is figure out all the spelling variations. And the best method I came up with is to go to MyHeritage and use the MegaDex search tool that lists out all the possible spelling options for last names. Here's an easy one:



Here's a more detailed one:


I am obviously not going through all these alternate spellings, but at least I know where to look if I hit a dead end.

2) Paid Subscriptions. These are sites I have annual subscriptions and I will check them first for premium content. Obviously there are a lot of things I can look for in each one that don't overlap:

3) Free sites:
  • MyHeritage.com - They really have an outstanding research engine that goes through almost 1400 sites simultaneously. It's not always accurate but it will take you in directions you don't always expect.
  • JewishGen.org - A lot of this content is now available on Ancestry.com but I still like the simplicity of the site.
  • FamilyHistory.org - I can still find some amazing nuggets here. I've been using the pilot site with great results lately and I can't wait for them to start digitizing everything.
4) Google:
  • General Google search - I'm still waiting for my "Google Your Family Tree" - Where is it?!?
  • Books.google.com
  • Any other Google tools i will about from the book. Where is it?!?
5) Other resources:
That's all I have for now. Anyone agree/disagree? Any better ideas? I am open to suggestions.

This entry was posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 at 10:53 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Anonymous  

Sometimes blogs are also interesting resources. Some of my favorites include TTT and the JewishGen Blog.

December 30, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Amir, I meant to leave a comment on your previous post about this subject, but I couldn't find the list of online databases to share with you. I finally found it at Genea-Musings: http://www.geneamusings.com/2008/01/online-research-strategy-for-russell.html

Happy Hunting!
Miriam

January 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Post a Comment