I read it in the news!  

Posted by Abba-Dad in , , ,

This is my submission to the 57th Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy.

One of my best resources in my search so far have been newspapers. I've written previously about obituaries and how much information they provide as well as the social pages that give a lot of color to the characters of our ancestors. I recently came across a couple of interesting newspaper clips. The first one is about my wife's grandfather, Lawrence Brannon:

Boy Shot (rest missing)
Two Youngsters Were Playing "Indian Camp"
Atlanta Constitution (Atlanta, Georgia) 20-8-1919



Obviously this was a serious matter, but seems like everything turned out all right. Maybe I will do some more research to see whatever happened to the other boy. I guess gun control in 1919 was a bit of an issue. At least I got another verification of his address. From the 1920 US Census I thought it was 256 East Fair Street. Hmmmm....

The second article is the announcement of a wedding performed by my wife's great-grandfather, Rev. Milton B. Tuggle:



This clip confirmed to me that he indeed lived in Inman Park. It also confirmed he was clergy, which does not appear in any of the census info or city directories. But what I really love about this piece is the description of the bride and groom:

"The bride is an unusually pretty young woman and from one of Georgia's oldest and best families."

Too bad there's no picture attached.

I really love these old newspapers. I wish I had access to more of them.

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 11:35 AM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Anonymous  

Excellent post!!

Keep up the good work!

October 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Post a Comment