Dombek's & Kreplak's  

Posted by Abba-Dad in , , , , , , , ,

It's been a while since my last post, but boy have I been busy. I have been diving into some Polish geography and finding a lot of links to long lost relatives. I have found a lot of these people on Geni.com and it is proving to be a truly valuable resource.

As I have written here before about my grandfather's Dombek family, there are few leads to follow. But then I started to investigate his mother's side of the tree. Bella (Beile) Kreplak was born about 1884 in Poland (according to a page of testimony, she was born in Warsaw). So far I have not found any Kreplak's in Warsaw. So I started looking in other places. I found Bejla Kreplak, born in 1885 in the Kosow Lacki PSA BMD 1863-1904 in the Siedlce Gubernia / Warszawa Province database on JewishGen. You'll see why this is interesting in just a bit.

From speaking with my mother and grandmother, but also from personal acquaintance, I know we have Kreplak relatives in Paris. They are the children and grandchildren of Herschel Kreplak who is (supposed to be) my grandfather's first cousin. I need to verify who his parents were to confirm this, but I would say this is pretty certain. There is also another family in Paris that are descendants of a female Kreplak and they were also considered first cousins. Then there is a Ritz family in Israel.

Today I found out that Chaya Rydz (nee Kreplak) was the mother of Yehuda Rydz of Herzelia, Israel, and perished in Ciechanowiec, Bialystok, Poland, along with Yehuda's wife, Faiga Rydz (nee Plisky). All this is based on the Ciechanowiec Yizkor Book. You can read a chapter written by Yehuda here. So I have some research to do there, but I am pretty certain I can link them all back to the same family as well. I think Yehuda Rydz is the Idel Ritz in my tree?

There are two other Kreplak trees I am working on. They all lead back to families in Kosow Lacki, Poland. I found records of Kreplak families there and I need to see if I can find them at an LDS center and actually see who the parents were. I think I'm on the right track.

And then there are a few Dombek families that track back to Ostrow Mazowiecka.

One of the interesting things I found out is that all these villages are within a 20 mile radius. Check out this map:



By the way, I created this map by looking up the town Sterdyn on this site: http://mapy.eholiday.pl/. I guess you can also go through Google maps but this site actually does have a type-ahead feature that helps you if you have no idea how to spell in Polish, which I don't. Then I used a FireFox plug-in called FireShot that let's you grab either your current browser view or the entire page and add highlights and comments. There's a free version and it is extremely useful.

Last tech-tip for today. If you wind up in a foreign language site, like the one above, right click somewhere on the page and select the bottom option "Page Info". Then choose the "Translate to English" option at the bottom. It runs the entire page through Google Translate and does a pretty good job. This only works in FireFox (because you really should not use Internet Explorer), but doesn't work on Google's new Chrome browser. I'm certain it will be added very soon.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM and is filed under , , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Dear Myrtle had a link to your blog. It looks great. I am a member of Geni as well, and a member of their forum. It is a great place.

September 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Hi, my name is Ernesto Kreplak. I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I found this post by introducing my last name in google. Think you must be in a pretty good track, because as my father told me, my granpa Julio Kreplak (born Juda, or something close to that) was from a place called something like "Ostrovomosovietz" (phonetic) in Poland, which sounds similar to "Ostrow Mazowiecka", around 1918 or 1919 -don't remember exactly right now-.
Anyway, I'll take some more time to follow your research, which I find more than intereseting, absolutly necesary.
Hope to reed more about it.
Good bye

October 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Hi Ernesto,

Thank you for leaving this great comment.

You may not know it, but you are my third cousin once removed. That means that my 3rd-great-grandfather, Pinjes Kreplak, was your 2nd-great-grandfather.

I have worked with your cousin Federico (and several other Kreplaks) on a big family tree on Geni.com and if you send me your e-mail to adekel (at) bellsouth (dot) net I can invite you to join the tree and see the entire family. There are already many pictures of your side of the family including some of your grandfather Juda (Julio) and others.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Amir

October 24, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Do you have any records of a Valentine Dombek leaving Poland sometime in the late 19th C?

He was my grandfather. He arrived in Boston sometime in the 1880's (I believe). He was born near Posen.

I would appreciate information: danieljohndombek@gmail.com

May 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM
Anonymous  

Hi. I would love to find out more about the other Kreplak family you found in Kosow-lacki. My grandpa's family lived there and I am trying to find out what happened to them during the war.

January 22, 2021 at 6:03 PM

Post a Comment