Medal Presentation  

Posted by Abba-Dad in , , ,

Where have I disappeared to? I have been busy. Busy with work, family and some more research. I have made tremendous amounts of progress, mostly by reaching out to people for help. I received a gigantic GEDCOM from a distant cousin of my wife's from the Bishop side and started adding it into my files. I only did this because this particular GEDCOM (as opposed to almost all the others I have seen) had a lot of sources and citations. I also got some additional information on the Kilchevsky (or should I just give that spelling up and go with the original Kielczewski?) side of the family. I also signed up with Footnote.com and started looking through their 43+ Million records. So, I have been a little busy.

Anyway, back to the medals:

1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources!

50 Citations - Platinum Medal

I am well into the hundreds here. And I have barely scratched the surface. Not only am I adding sources for everything I have, I also need to verify everything I have added from others. Lots to do.


2. Back Up Your Data!

This is definitely an important task. Let's see where I stand:

A. Prepare a comprehensive backup plan for your digital research files and a security plan for your hard copies and photos - I will make daily backups locally and then move all my files to my external drive weekly. I will also burn an image of the external drive to DVD once a month. Eventually all information will be secured off-line as well.

B. Secure your hard copies and photos in waterproof containers - That will have to wait another day. I don't have many documents and photos to begin with, so this became a lower priority.

C. Backup all your data using a flash drive, an external drive, CDs, DVDs, or an online resource - Done!

D. Have all your hard copies and photos scanned and secure them either in a fire-proof safe or off-site in a safety-deposit box/secure environment - It will take me a long time to scan everything I have, even though it's not much. And as far as off-site storage, that will have to wait as well.

E. All your data is backed up digitally and secured physically and you can recover from any disaster while losing only one month or less worth of research - Digitally yes, physically no (see D).

Completed Task A&C - Silver Medal - I have work to do.


3. Organize Your Research!

Complete five or more tasks - Platinum Medal - I have done everything but F. I'll work on that.


4. Write, Write, Write!

A. Write a summary of what your blog is about and post it on your blog – you may not have done this since you started the blog and it is a great way to have new readers learn more about your site. - This was my first post, July 29th, 2008.

B. Participate in a genealogy or family history related blog carnival. - I submitted one of my posts to the Carnival of Central and Eastern European Genealogy.

C. Prepare several posts in draft mode (if possible with your blog platform) and pre-publish. - Still a no on this one. I am an impulse blogger who can't pre-publish.

D. Write a brief biographical sketch on one of your ancestors. - Done.

E. Sign up to host a future carnival - Probably not going to happen just yet because of newbieness.

Complete any three tasks - Gold Medal


5. Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness!

A. Comment on a new (to you) genea-blog. - Pretty much every day.

B. Join another genea-blogger’s blog network on Facebook Blog Networks. - Multi-done.

C. Invite other genealogists to join Facebook. - I decided to give this one my own spin. I have been talking about genealogy at every opportunity and getting people interested. I even hosted our monthly neighborhood poker night and after I was eliminated I checked some people's ancestors. So I will include this one as done!

D. Assist another researcher with a research request or look-up. - I have contributed to several researchers with small amounts of information.

E. Participate in an indexing project. - Not done. I am sure there is something that I could have done, but I just don't know where to start yet.

F. Join a genealogical, historical, heritage or lineage society. - I did not join the two I wanted (I will in the near future) but instead signed up for three SIG on JewishGen. So that should cover it.

Complete five or more tasks - Platinum Medal

Here's the final tally:
3 Platinum
1 Gold
1 Silver

This has been a lot of fun to do. Not only did I learn some valuable lessons about genealogical research, but I also managed to step up my research and incorporate some structure in it. Whatever I have not completed, I will strive to do in the next few weeks. Thanks to all who organized and spent time making sure we all have a good time.

This entry was posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Congratulations on your medals! I'm impressed with the extraordinary efforts put out by all the participants. A special thanks to Thomas, Miriam and Kathryn for their efforts organizing both the Genea-Bloggers group and these games. What a wonderful way to build community!

August 25, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Post a Comment